UN chief outraged after peacekeepers shot dead two people at Uganda
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres expressed dismay over an incident that took place on Sunday morning when UN peacekeepers opened fire and killed two people on the border of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and Uganda.
“Antonio Guterres is outraged by a serious incident that took place this morning in Kasindi, on the border of DR Congo and Uganda, in which MONUSCO military personnel opened fire while returning to the DRC from leave in their home country,” UN Spokesperson to the Secretary-General tweeted.
The UN force, MONUSCO, admitted that some of its peacekeepers had opened fire “for unexplained reasons,” and said that the arrests had been made.
The head of the MONUSCO, Bitou Keita expressed dismay over the incident and confirmed, “The perpetrators of the shooting have been identified and arrested after the findings of the investigation.”
Deputy Spokesperson for the UN Secretary-General, Farhan Haq said, “The Secretary-General is both saddened and dismayed by the loss of life and serious injuries sustained during this incident.”
“He expresses his deepest condolences to the affected families, the people of the DRC and the Congolese government, and wishes a speedy recovery to those injured,” the statement added.
The Secretary-General stressed in the strongest terms the need to establish accountability for these events.
“He welcomes the decision of his special representative in the Democratic Republic of the Congo to detain the MONUSCO personnel involved in the incident and to immediately open an investigation,” the statement added.